Mar Lodge Stag Ballroom
The Mar Lodge stag ballroom has a spectacular 2,435 red deer stags heads lining the walls and ceiling. It has been called the Sistine Chapel of stage hunting. The ballroom was constructed for estate staff balls, required by the need for segregation between master and servant which dominated the period. Built near to the second Mar Lodge at Corriemulzie, it was moved to the present site in 1898. A large timber building in the estate red, it has distinctive lattice trellising, an original Victorian ventilation system and unusual cast iron bracers on stone plinths supporting the walls. Internally the building remains virtually in its original state and contains over 2,435 stag's skulls.
Mar Lodge Estate became a National Trust for Scotland property in 1995.